Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Heat, Rain, & Mosquitoes, OH MY!

I left heat and humidity in South Texas to do this hike. My intention was to enjoy nicer scenery and nicer weather. I was only 50% successful. Vermont is very picturesque, and the locals are very friendly, but each day of my hike experienced mid- to high-80s temperature, humidity, and mosquitoes. I religiously wore my mosquito head net every day, even sleeping in it when sleeping in a (open) shelter. Sleeping in the tent enabled better protection from the bugs, but tenting on wet ground is not fun, and packing up a wet tent in the morning after rain fall makes for a very smelly tent later. These conditions made me really reconsider doing this hike in this location and/or during this time of year. I knew I would not last for  four weeks; I would be happy to reach my supplies at the post office in Manchester Center. I figured I would reach the supplies (including my laptop!), shower and rest, and then reassess my situation to determine if I would continue the hike. After that glorious hot shower and good night sleep at the Palmer House, I did not return to the trail.  
One of the trail shelters 

No comments: