Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Almost there...

Spending time during the summer in the Midwest always reminds me of summers as a kid. I was at a park in Ohio at 9pm yesterday, with dusk just starting to settle in, and I caught a glimpse of brief flashes of light. It's been a long time since I've seen lightening bugs (fireflies). I definitely went to sleep last night with the warm fuzzy feelings that only a reminder of simpler times as a child enjoying summer can bring.

On the 'gear' front, I tested my new stove this morning to boil water. After research on stoves, I decided on an Esbit stove that has two pieces: a stove and a 400mL cup included that fits neatly on top of the stove. The fuel cubes are cheap and light. The box says they burn for 12 minutes. I didn't time it - how very unscientific of me - but it did almost boil all 400mL of water with one cube. I'll be playing with this more in the upcoming days.

Niagara Falls was... interesting. The sights and sounds in New York (practically Canada) were very different than South Texas, some good and others not so much. The varied languages I heard spoken by people as I walked around are a welcome change. I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gone on the day before a holiday, which would presumably resulted in larger than normal crowds today.

Tomorrow is July 4, and I hope to enjoy some celebratory festivies in Vermont tomorrow!

No comments: